Yogic Nutrition for Healing Your Mind and Body
If I look at my experience of how I actually help people heal with yoga, it is always coming back to the principle that food is the most powerful means of healing and balancing the body and mind. Nutrition is the primary and fundamental means that heals us. If you have that right, then all other modalities like yoga therapy will work much more effectively.
Top 7 Incredible Healing Foods
• Raw Garlic
• Cruciferous Vegetables
• Green Tea
• Leafy Greens
• Cooked Tomatoes
1. Raw Garlic: Along with the other relatives in the allium family – such as onions, leeks, and shallots – garlic contains powerful antioxidants like allicin, proven to remove free radicals from your body. It also boosts immunity, is nutrient dense, lowers blood pressure and cholesterol levels, improves brain function, and is a natural detoxifier. Chop or crush garlic, allow to rest, then use it raw or in your favorite recipes.
2. Broccoli: Known as a cruciferous vegetable – related to kale, cauliflower, and cabbage – broccoli is high in phytochemicals and the antioxidants glucoraphanin and indole-3-carbinol. Naturally anti-inflammatory, good for your bones and heart, and nutrient dense (without the calories), broccoli is a great addition to a healthy eating plan. Since phytochemicals are heat-sensitive enzymes, the benefits of broccoli are best raw or blanched.
3. Green Tea: The catechins found in green tea have made it a superstar. Many experts suggest green tea daily is a great idea . It reduces your risk of heart disease, lowers your LDL (bad) cholesterol while raising your HDL (good) cholesterol, and lowers your blood pressure.
4. Strawberries: Always delicious, there are now more reasons for you to eat these delicate fruits.Strawberries protect your body from heart disease, lower inflammation, prevent memory loss, and help you burn your body’s fat stores. Strawberries and other dark-colored berries – such as black raspberries, blueberries, boysenberries, and, goji berries – are packed with flavor so you won’t even notice how healthy they are.
5. Spinach: Though this leafy green is low in calories, it offers incredible health benefits with vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids that your body needs to stay strong (just like Popeye). It contains bio-chemicals called flavonoids – at least thirteen discovered so far – that soak up damaging free radicals and flushes them out. Particularly rich in folate and fiber – make spinach one of our favorite c foods.
6. Tomatoes: It’s all about the lycopene – the antioxidant that causes the red color of tomatoes – a powerful antioxidant. They lower your risk of heart disease and are naturally anti-inflammatory. The secret to getting the full benefits of tomatoes lies in the preparation. Lycopene is released when tomatoes are cooked. In fact, canned tomatoes have even higher concentrations of lycopene than fresh.
7. Carrots: This well-loved vegetable is a wonderful source of beta-carotene, an antioxidant that aids in preventing cell damage . They contain falcarinol and falcarindiol – natural pesticides in the vegetable. Of course, they’re good for your vision, skin, and as a natural detoxifier as well.
These foods are available year-round, inexpensive, and easy to find at your local store, these foods can help start you on the road to a better diet. And remember… always buy organic!
Eating right doesn’t have to be horrible. You won’t regret taking this step in the right direction.